Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SBPL Myth #5 - Hey You Look Like _______


(A JAM C) Charles Barkley.

Charles Barkley is one of the ugliest men alive.  You know what?  He's not ugly.  I apologize to the word "ugly" for associating Charles Barkley with it.  He's ooguhly... in other words, he's too ugly for ugly.  He makes "ugly" so pretty.  With that being considered, how much do you think it crushes my spirits when you tell me that I look like him?

I don't really look like him anymore since I have grown out my hair, and shaved my mustache, but back in the day when I was bald with a goatee, people said that I looked like him all the time.  Honestly, the only similar features were our bald heads, similar skin tones, and facial hair.  I guess that's enough.

For us biracial people, there's a whole slew of ugly people that you could compare us to.  Just don't do it.  I don't go around to every Asian girl I meet, and say that she looks like Margaret Cho, so please return the favor by not telling me that I look like Joakim Noah.  Nobody has ever said that I look like him, but my hair is getting longer, and if that day ever comes, I'm probably going to cry.

Like I said in the previous post, we can easily be compared to a wide variety of people, and my two worst comparisons are Charles Barkley and George Lopez.  George Lopez was kinda crushing, because at least Charles Barkley was in shape at one point.  When someone starts saying that you look like George Lopez, that means that your becoming fat.  You're not fat yet, but you're on your way there.  Granted, the person who told me I looked like him was a 12 year old kid, but it still pierced my soul.

But yeah, this should just be a general rule for all people.  Don't say somebody looks like a famous person who is widely known for being ugly.

No comments: